[CentOS] Clone ATA to SATA HDD

Sat Nov 29 22:26:08 UTC 2008
Joseph L. Casale <JCasale at activenetwerx.com>

>Mobo is: Intel D945GCLF Little Falls
>Iv'e try'd mkinitrd with mounted /sys, /proc and /dev from the live cd
>without any special parameters, so my think was, sata is visible and
>should be enabled by default. The LVM is not longer included in the new
>initrd because the lvm messages are gone on booting kernel.

I'd say that's your problem there :)
Add a --preload and load the applicable module based on how your bios is set up.
If it can do AHCI, and I think it can, use that.

Not sure how mkinitrd works from a livecd when your modprobe.conf is on the "rescued"
system. Maybe running from a chroot might overcome any ambiguity, but you most likely
don't have an appropriate modprobe.conf on the dead system that is even right.

--preload will force it in where it needs to be. You need some combination of ahci, ata_piix
and libata. Someone the wiser chime in. Those are what are applicable to this mobo under
any possible config, it's an ICH7 board.

jlc