[CentOS] USB or PCI dialup modem supported by Centos

Sun Nov 30 17:51:36 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Nicholas <nicholas at oscc.org.my> wrote:
> Places like where I am, cell phone charges are very high if connection is
> for longer periods. I've got a USB Thundercom modem but could not get it
> connected to go online.
>
> A list of modems, (might be outdated) can be found at
> http://www.linuxsecurity.com.br/info/unix/winmodem.html
>
> Ramon Nieto wrote:
>>
>> That sounds cool, i haven't thought using a cell phone instead a modem and
>> a landline.

Our ADSL was down, for most of the past 3 days. The largest Cell phone
operator in Colombia (COMCEL) sells a HSDPA Wireless Modem (Huawei
E226), but, it can only work with one Windoze or MAC box, via USB
cable. If I could find something like that, that I could connect to
our IPCop Router/Firewall box, I'd go for it, without looking back.
The charge isn't bad: For unlimited 3G service, about USD$43.25 per
month, with a 12 month contract. The Modem costs USD$35.58.  Speed up
to 1.4Mbs, according to the sales guy, but the literature shows
"7.2Mb.  If and when WiMAX becomes available in our rural subdivision,
that's my preferred Internet connection. WiMAX is available in Cali,
but not where we live.......