[CentOS] mount UFS partition on CentOS 5.

Daniel Bruno

danielbrunos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 00:25:09 UTC 2008

Hi Tru,

I installed rpmforge, dkms and dmks-ufs, how you can see below:

[root at fw ~]# rpm -qva |grep dkms
dkms-2.0.20.4-1.el5.rf
dkms-ufs-2.6.18_8.1.8.el5-3.c5

[root at fw ~]# lsmod |grep ufs
ufs                    64644  0

but I still can't mount the partition:

# mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=44bsd /dev/hdb1 /part
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

in the dmes, show this error:

ufs_read_super: bad magic number

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Tru Huynh <tru at centos.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 05:12:59PM -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> >
> > We need more information. However, presuming you are running 5.2, stock
> > kernel, check config-2.6.18-92.1.13.el5 in the grub directory. UFS is
> > not enabled. Maybe a plus kernel has it enabled or you can build a
> > custom kernel.
>
> http://people.centos.org/tru/dkms/RPMS/ has the ufs driver
> but you need to install RPMforge's dkms package to rebuild the
> module for your kernel version.
> see http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories
>
> the mount command would be somehting like
> mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=44bsd /dev/hdb1 /mnt/bsd
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tru
> --
> Tru Huynh (mirrors, CentOS-3 i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xBEFA581B

Daniel Bruno
http://danielbruno.argo.com.br
danielbrunos at gmail.com