[CentOS] how to set term environment for cronjobs?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 12:55:21 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>> Hi, yes sorry I should have added that :)
>>> I'm using lynx, as follows:
>>> 9 0 * * * /usr/bin/lynx http://billing/admin/cron.php
>>> */5 * * * * /usr/bin/lynx http://billing/pipe/pop.php
>> Lynx wants to do cursor positioning which is fairly useless in
>> non-interactive mode.  You can give it a terminal type on the command line
>> with the -term= option, but it would probably be better to use wget instead
>> for non-interactive work.

> wget downloads the whole page every time, which wastes bandwidth & HDD
> space. Apart from using the "> /dev/null" option, is there any other
> way to use it?

Lynx is going to send the page to stdout, which cron will collect and
email to you unless you have redirected to /dev/null also, so I don't
see a big difference there.  For static pages wget can use -N to only
get copies after they change, and the -O option to control where it
goes, which could be /dev/null if you really never want to see it.

> And with lynx, do I just issue lynx -term=vt100 http://billing/admin/cron.php ?

Yes, but I'd recommend doing 'man lynx', 'man wget', and 'man curl' so
you understand the options and features of each.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com