[CentOS] Nightly yum update did an "upgrade"

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 12:12:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 13:11 +0200, Griesbach, Lutz wrote:
> Hy there,
>
> i have a centos (4.?) Box  with nightly yum update enabled. Last
> night, it did an upgrade to 4.7 leading to several problem i.e. not
> respawning the dhcrelay, which is needed on this box.
>
> Can I control the update policy not to upgrade to new releases in the
> nightly updates? I would like do to nightly updates, but make release
> upgrades manual (I get a new kernel, so I have to reboot anyway).

Hi,

Personally I enable nightly updates but disable the updating of certain
packages (services) that the server provides. For this I use the
'exclude' statement in the /etc/yum.conf file. On all servers I include
excluding the kernel and glibc. If these are to be upgraded, and require
a reboot, then I'll do them when it is convenient to me. Other services,
such as exim (MTA), freeradius (RADIUS), squid (web cache), etc are
likewise disabled on the relevant servers. Again, if they are to be
upgraded, then I will do them when it is convenient and without
disrupting the current service.

John.