[CentOS] Slightly OT: Dell Poweredge 2850 with 4GB RAM

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Fri Oct 3 09:35:51 UTC 2008

Tru Huynh <> scribbled on Friday, October 03, 2008 11:15 AM:

> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 10:23:46AM +0200, Sorin at Gmail wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I got the previously mentioned Dell Poweredge 2850 with 4GB RAM and Perc4e
>> raid controller. Installation went well and the raid is pretty fast even
>> with level 5.
>>
>> However I have another problem now... CentOS 5.2 only sees 256MB RAM.
>> Googling a bit, got me to install kernel-PAE, this went well, but CentOS
>> still sees only 256MB.
>
> does your bios see 4GB? try also memtest to make sure the 4GB are there.
> cat /proc/meminfo and the boot lines of /var/log/messages

Yupp, pressing F2 at boot and checking in bios says it's 4GB DDR2 ECC IIRC.

Is memtest available at an almost full install?

Will be back shortly with /proc/meminfo and boot-messages from /var/log.

> what does the rescue mode says? cd1 of 5.2 i386/x86_64 ?

Did a netinstall, so don't have cd1. Am downloading those now though. Might
take a while... 8-) Be back with results soonish.

> Tru

Thx for fast starterhelp! This is why I like this list! ;-)