[CentOS] find

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri Oct 3 14:07:07 UTC 2008

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com schrieb:
> I am looking for something similar to the windows SEARCH FILES comman
> with the option "files containing ..." (that is where I can specify a
> string and it will find all files containing that string -- not just having
> the string as part of the name but actually containing it in the text).
>
> Is there some way to do this?

You could use "glimpse" for that.
Or google desktop ;-)

The problem is that preparing the index  takes a lot of time.
And more than 95 time out of 100, you don't need it anyway.
(On a server, because man -k and locate already do a good job of making
the relevant stuff available to you quickly).

Rainer