[CentOS] Nightly yum update did an "upgrade"

Vandaman vandaman2002-rt at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 15:01:10 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> ok, so you chased down Lutz's machine, broke into it
> and were able to
> verify his yum configs are changed or did you pull that one
> out of thin
> air.

> I do suspect something is not right, since the 4.7 updates
> took as long
> as they did to get to his machine. They have been 'out
> there' for a fair
> few weeks now. And the concern that live updates within the
> distro broke
> a production machine is very much there.
>

>From the notes on the "bug" you would have to have 4.5/os/$basearch/
instead of $releasever/os/$basearch/ to get the "bug". Also yum update
or upgrade should not break anything unless you have packages from
elsewhere and murked about with the configs. I have looked on the
last month's list and not seen :-

- people whose machines took weeks to autoupdate.
- people whose production machines were broken by 4.6 to 4.7

Clearly Lutz's situation is unique and he has not told us the whole story.

Regards,
Vandaman.