[CentOS] OT Mailing List Spam

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Fri Oct 3 15:56:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008, Mark A. Lewis wrote:
>>This is why the RFC clearly states that you must answer certain email
>>addresses; abuse@ being one! If you don't follow the RFC's than how
>>can anyone expect your protocols or operations to be compliant with
>>any standards?
>>
>>Now, someone decided, in their infinite wisdom, that if you send an
>>auto-reply directing you to a web form, that this is compliant..
>>where as I read it as a cheat! That does not allow me to use the
>>abuse@ address for the function it was intended and as stated earlier:
>>
>>I DO NOT HAVE TIME IN A DAY TO GO REPORTING SOME ADMINISTRATOR'S
>>DEFICIENCY IN POLICING HIS/HER OWN USERS THROUGH A PROPRIETARY WEB FORM.
>>
>>Therefore, I have been given authority to block them, meeting my
>>management's criteria.
>>
>>Make sure your rules meet the RFCs and your management's criteria and
>>you will make your life a whole lot simpler.. Oh, and argue the RFC's
>>with management, in case they do not understand!

>So, let's look at your stance.

>abuse at yahoo.com would probably get millions of mails a day. Acting more as
>a spam trap more than anything else, and I don't think anyone would call
>them unreasonable for not reading each and every mail sent to it. If you
>think they should, perhaps you should volunteer.

Male Bovine Defecation!  If yahoo is going to provide mail services,
they damn well should do it in a responsible manner.  Just becaue
they are big does not exempt them from this responsibility.  On
the contrary, the large free mail providers, yahoo, hotmail,
gmail, etc. are frequently used by spammers, phishers, and other
criminals for drop boxes to further their crimes.

As large as it is, AOL does a very good job of dealing with
complaints and handling spam.  They are also quite active in the
anti-spam/anti-phishing community.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Many companies that have made themselves dependent on [the equipment of a
certain major manufacturer] (and in doing so have sold their soul to the
devil) will collapse under the sheer weight of the unmastered complexity of
their data processing systems.
    -- Edsger W. Dijkstra, SIGPLAN Notices, Volume 17, Number 5