[CentOS] OT: RIP settings for private netblocks

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Oct 3 19:40:51 UTC 2008

I am contemplating converting some of our internal networks from routable
to private IPv4 address space.  I have a question about RIP as implemented
under Cisco IOS 12.x.

Presently the setting for rip is:

router rip
 version 2
 passive-interface [[FastEthernet]]0/0
 network aaa.bbb.ccc.0
 no auto-summary

What I would like to know is how one routes the entire 192.168/16 address
space using rip.  My perusal of the various Cisco manuals, technical
documents and various O'Rielly books is not giving me any clear answer and
I am rather reluctant to experiment on our live Internet connection.

Will this do what I imagine it might, treat any address 192.168.x.y or
10.x.y.z as an internal network?

router rip
 version 2
 passive-interface [[FastEthernet]]0/0