[CentOS] BackupPC

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Oct 3 21:00:54 UTC 2008

On Monday, September 29, 2008 1:26 PM +0100 Timothy Murphy
<gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> I was a bit surprised to find that BackupPC
> does not seem to be available on my CentOS-5.2 system.

I got it from the testing repo. I use it to back up Windows servers to my
Linux server.

> What do people use to backup Centos systems?

To back up the Linux server, I use dump and direct the output to a file on
a removable USB drive formatted as ext3. I rotate drives the way one might
rotate tapes.

I've been using dump since 1989, when I had a Sun 386i.

Both BackupPC and dump have their own support infrastructure.

<http://dump.sourceforge.net/>
<http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/>