[CentOS] Proposed New Mailing List

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Fri Oct 3 21:23:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008, Ned Slider wrote:
> Vandaman wrote:
>>
>> Off course people are going to ask. In my opinion as long
>> as a topic is marked OT, it is preferable to one not marked
>> but one in which the OP has not even done basic research on his
>> problem.
>>

> It may be preferable to YOU, but marking something OT doesn't stop it
> wasting MY bandwidth or clogging up MY inbox does it?

That's what incoming mail filters are for :-).  I must admit that
I do the vast majority of my e-mail using mutt which makes it
extremely easy for me to delete threads unread.  This is usually
much more time-consuming with GUI or web mail clients.

Personally I have no problem with the occassional OT thread, and
think that, within reason, they can make a list more ``friendly''
and less intimidating to newbies.

I also prefer more general lists to those that have very tight
charters as I learn quite a bit when I see threads with
interesting subjects that I might not see otherwise.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Rights is a fictional abstraction.  No one has ``Rights'', neither
machines nor flesh-and-blood.  Persons... have opportunities, not rights,
which they use or do not use.
    -- Lazarus Long