[CentOS] JFS in CentOS

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Oct 4 21:56:10 UTC 2008

Hal Martin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm relatively new to CentOS, but I've been using linux as my main
> operating system on both the desktop and server ends for the past 4 years.
>
> I currently have a PIII server with two 160GB IDE hard drives in it, in
> a virtual RAID 1 array. At the time of installation, the only FS choices
> for the largest partition, 120GB, were ext2 and ext3. I chose ext3, but
> now am wishing to reformat the partition as JFS to skip long file system
> check times.
>
> I've done Google searches regarding the topic, which lead me to added
> centos.plus to my repo list, and installed the only kernel I see as
> being available from CentOSPlus, and yet I still have no JFS modules
> loaded or anywhere in /lib/modules/. I installed JFSUtils from the
> CentOSPlus repo, but have no way to use the partition that has been
> created (by myself, using mkfs.jfs). Short of compiling a kernel with
> JFS support from the source package provided with CentOS, I don't know
> what to do.

The CentOS 5.2 centosplus kernel that is there now has JFS, but I would
not use it, see below.

Use this command to see if jfs is there:

[root at c5-test-x8664 ~]# modinfo jfs

filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.13.el5.centos.plus/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Steve Best/Dave Kleikamp/Barry Arndt, IBM
srcversion:     D5C326655BB63C34D364350
depends:
vermagic:       2.6.18-92.1.13.el5.centos.plus SMP mod_unload gcc-4.1
parm:           nTxBlock:Number of transaction blocks (max:65536) (int)
parm:           nTxLock:Number of transaction locks (max:65536) (int)
parm:           commit_threads:Number of commit threads (int)
module_sig:
883f35048e3bc7091842e566e2e930112945c09e26cb225d92d833721d7a3ae1e126cd1237a5ade09d1ddb286fbfe0a15aafa60edca92fd2ba82ae795

> Has anyone else used JFS on CentOS 5.2 successfully? How did you do it?

I would not use JFS on CentOS ... the JFS that is there is the one that
comes standard for the version of kernel in RHEL as Red Hat is not
backporting changes for JFS (or XFS, Reiserfs) from newer kernels like
they do for ext3.  So you will have the JFS from the 2.6.18 (for
CentOS-5) or 2.6.9 (for CentOS-4).

The only file systems Red Hat supports in RHEL support are ext3 and
ext3.  Unless you absolutely have to have a different one, you should
use ext3.

If you are using ext3, it has a journal and most of the time you should
not do file system checks unless there is an error.  I always use the
-c0 -i0 switches for tune2fs for ext3 partitions and only run flesystem
checks when there are errors.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes