[CentOS] problem talking to server postgrey/socket: Permission denied

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 10:07:54 UTC 2008

Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have installed postgrey from the rpmforge repo, but it does not work
> well with postfix from CentOS 5.2: I always get the error:
>
> warning: connect to postgrey/socket: Permission denied
> problem talking to server postgrey/socket: Permission denied
>
> But the permissions on the socket seem okay (postfix could write to it):
> srw-rw-rw- 1 postgrey postgrey        0  4. Okt 14:48 socket
>
> I also tried "restorecon -R /var/spool/postfix/postgrey", but that did
> not change anything, either.
>
> Googling does not show anything recent and helpful. Any hint or help is
> appreciated.
>
> Dirk

Hi Dirk,

You're correct in your assumption that this is an SELinux issue. You
need to write a custom policy to allow connection and writing to the socket.

How to do this is covered in the SELinux Wiki guide here:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SELinux#head-faa96b3fdd922004cdb988c1989e56191c257c01

and luckily for you, the example used is for postgrey/postfix so you can
use the example provided.

Hope that helps.