[CentOS] mysqld breaks yum, help?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Mon Oct 6 03:53:02 UTC 2008

Dac Chartrand wrote:

> On 5-Oct-08, at 10:10 PM, nate wrote:
>
>> Are there any packages installed that weren't part of the
>> *base* CentOS?
>
> PS: I can't answer this question. I inherited a CentOS 5.2 VPS and
> moved forward from there.

> Accusing me of screwing something up when I pretty much did `yum
> update`, all the while setting up and obeying priorities as outlined
> in the docs, and pretty much nothing else, is a bit overzealous IMHO.

I don't recall accusing you of that, you mention above you
inherited that system, it's possible that whoever had it before
you screwed it up before you got it.

Did I mention I don't trust VPS either ?:) I pay a bit extra
and co-lo my own server a local facility so I have complete
control over it and knowledge of what is/is not installed
(Runs Debian stable instead of CentOS since Debian has more
packages that I want/need/like).

I inherited  more than 300 RHEL 3/4 systems earlier this
year in various states of dysfunction. So I do have somewhat
of an idea of how  you feel!

The previous admin didn't really know what they were doing
in many cases. It'll probably be another 6-8 months before
I have everything cleaned up at this rate(getting downtime
to re-install each system fresh takes a while amongst my
other projects). I'd rather not try to hunt down and fix
every system, just backup, re-install and start fresh so
everything is in a known good, consistent state.

My habits generally involve more work up front but
once that work is done the long term benefits more than
compensate for it.

nate