[CentOS] Boot disk order: h/w vs. grub

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 14:47:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 10:48 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess I'm wondering if there's some more permanent way around this
> issue.  Do I need to overwrite the MBR on hd0?  Should I reconfigure
> the system so the PATA drives are not connected to the m/b at all
> (i.e., usb enclosures)?  Is this a bug in grub?  All this is assuming
> that I do not get rid of the PATA drives and/or get a new m/b that has
> <something else>....
>
> It seems strange that this should be such a pain, even though in a
> rather oddball way it makes sense.
>
> Thoughts?

I had a situation similar to yours.  When I had a mix of PATA and
SATA, I just could not boot the thing.  Played with the BIOS settings,
grub entries such as hd(0,0), etc etc.  I finally gave up on it and
went for lilo which had no issue booting the same system.  I'd be
happy to go back to grub if I could get it to work.

Akemi