[CentOS] Samba 3.0.28/3.0.32

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Oct 8 23:40:17 UTC 2008

Spike Turner wrote:
> I've looked at the CentOS docs-list as well as the Wiki as I was interested
> in Samba.
>
> On one CentOS box I've got 3.0.32 (the latest bug-fixed version from Samba.org)
> and on another I've got 3.0.28 (the latest from upstream). The docs look almost
> the same and the docs refer to security = share. However 3.0.32 comes with a
> blank smb.conf making it harder to get a secure server up and running.
>
> Is there a plan for a quick and dirty guide on the Wiki for setting up Samba
> with secure settings as well as TDB rather than deprecated settings?

FWIW (about what you paid), I've often used SWAT to setup my Samba
initial configuration.

yum install samba-swat, then edit /etc/xinetd.d/swat and put a #  in
front of 'disable = yes', save this file, service xinetd reload, and
then use a browser to connect to http://localhost:901 log on as root,
and fill out the forms

(if you want to manage swat from a seperate workstation, # out the
only_from line too, or add your LAN ip or cidrrange, seperated by a space
example:
    only_from     = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/24
would allow localhost or anyone on the 192.168.0.0/24 network to access
swat)

I know a lot of folks disparage swat, but its a lot easier than
remembering all the obscure settings in the smb.conf files when you've
got better things to do.