[CentOS] Samba 3.0.28/3.0.32

Spike Turner spiketurner09 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 06:19:19 UTC 2008

Rob Townley wrote:

> You may want to look at a third party samba packager for
> better documentation such as: http://enterprisesamba.org/

My 3.0.32 is from the enterprise samba and coincidentally the
html charset problem (mentioned separately) is from viewing
the enterprise docs.

Someone mentioned SWAT. I don't use SWAT or system-config-samba
as I admin the server from the CLI. Also its easy to get up and
running but the problem is not to get up and running. The
following problems remain :-

1. The CentOS server with Enterprise Samba 3.0.32 is also the DNS
server but "View Workgroup Computers" is slow from windows. Even
after tweaking /etc/nsswitch and specifying the CentOS server as
the browser master and wins server. I've googled and looked at
people from other distros with the same problem but no joy here.
I've turned off the computer browser on XP but no avail.

Spike.