[CentOS] Thunderbird does not follow url links in Firefox

Theo Band theo.band at greenpeak.com
Thu Oct 9 08:37:47 UTC 2008

Since the recent update from firefox2 to firefox3 the links in my mails
do no longer work. No window pops up. After some debug I found the
problem. Let's share it with others that experience the same problem:

I'm using Thunderbird (manually downloaded, that might have
caused the problem, I have not tried with 1.5)
I'm using Firefox 3.0.2 (yum installed CentOS 4.7)

To solve I created a small wrapper script that unsets LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

cat <path>/firefox_wrap
firefox $@

To start add :
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "<path>/firefox_wrap");
(or use the advanced config editor)

The error message (for those Googling around):
/opt/thunderbird- version `NSS_3.12' not found
(requiredby /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.2/libxul.so)