[CentOS] find cont'd 3

Eric Sisolak haldir.junk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 14:19:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:49 PM, <tony.chamberlain at lemko.com> wrote:

> Basically I want to find all files with a string (except binary)
> and change it.  let STR be the string I am looking for.  NEW is new
string.

Hmm, why not ditch find entirely, and just use grep?  Something like:

TFIL=/usr/tmp/dummy$$.txt

grep -Ilr "$STR" * > $TFIL

for fil in $( cat $TFIL); do
 sed -i "s/$STR/$NEW/g" $fil
done

Man grep says: "-I     Process a binary file as if it did not contain
matching data".  Also -l gives you the filename and relative path.

If $STR contains "/"s then you could use # instead.
 sed -i "s#$STR#$NEW#g" $fil
I dont know how much the searched for string would change, but you
could test if it contained "/" and then use sed with "#" instead.
Also you might want to use "sed -ibak ..." instead since this will
backup the unchanged file to filename.bak, should your substitution go
awry.  The letters after "i" specify the extension you want to use.

Eric Sisolak