[CentOS] Re: Unexpected FTP Activity

Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 21:29:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:59:35 -0400, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:27:45 -0400, Toby Bluhm wrote:
>> Is there a reason why you don't want your machine updated?
>
>  On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:07, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>> Yes indeed!  [...]
>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 14:42, Scott Silva
> <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
>> He didn't say he wasn't going to update,
>
> Yes, he did! :-)
>
>> he just said he wants to do it on his schedule. Nothing wrong with
>> that. As a matter of fact, it is more proper to update when you have
>> tested on an enterprise system.
>
> Agreed, in particular with updates that bump a release (5.1 -> 5.2), I
> also do it manually and not automatically.
>
> However, nowadays I consider updating the system and applying security
> patches an essential part of the sysadmin role in a Linux environment.
>
> Filipe

I quote from a previous post by me on this thread:

   "I do updates, but at times of my choice,
    and I watch what I get."

The reason I am moving from Fedora to Centos is that on a Fedora
news group I mentioned that I am interested in reliability and
stability.  A respondent suggested that in that case, I would be
better off with Centos, since Fedora experiments with the latest
and greatest, and therefore takes chances that would not be
appropriate in an enterprise context.  Automatic updates are
inconsistent with my objective.

I like to comment on my past employment years ago with a large
company whose name you would recognize.  I maintained control
systems whose failure would cost dollars quickly counted in the
millions, and could potentially endanger human life.  The
operating systems on these machines were well understood and
long obsolete.  A suggestion that they be upgraded would be
met with a blank stare.  I believe that the implementation of
automatic updates would have resulted in dismissal. ):

Mike.