[CentOS] CentOS 5 x86_64 install does not see SATA drives

Rick Barnes linux at sitevision.com
Mon Oct 13 17:24:19 UTC 2008

Dougal Ballantyne wrote:
> I am having some problems installing CentOS 5.2 x86_64 onto a
> Supermicro 6015V-T with Intel 5000V chipset and ESB2 controller using
> SATA drives. Currently I am running CentOS 4.7 i386 and it sees both
> drives but when I boot into the CentOS 5 install CD it fails to see
> the drives. Does anybody have any tips for getting the drives visible?

I have a SuperMicro 6015P-TR that I just installed CentOS 5.2 x84_64. I
struggled for 2 days trying to get the HostRAID RAID 1 working. I was
only able to get 5.1 to install but not 5.2 (supermicro only has 5.1
drivers on its site). After the install, the server saw each drive
individually sda, sdb rather than as one device and quit working after
installing updates to the latest kernel.

I googled around for answers and there was very little useful
information available in getting this to work.

In the end, I just bought a 3ware 9650SE-4LPML after hearing good things
about these cards on this list, installed it one of the PCI-Express
slots, pulled the cable to the drive backplane on the mobo and plugged
in right into the card and installed C5.2. Worked like a charm.

Rick