[CentOS] Mass installs of desktop systems on identical machines

Jens Larsson jens at nsc.liu.se
Tue Oct 14 14:45:17 UTC 2008

> > Any particular reason why not, if I may ask?

> Because other distributions have better support for brand-new consumer
> hardware. Especially, if you consider the lifetime cycle of CentOS which
> spans to 2014. Look at this not from the viewpoint of your mom, but from
> the computershop that wants to sell lots of PCs to very different people
> (which will expect to see *recent* software) and with (over the years)
> quite differing hardware.
> Kai

But you don't want to supply consumers with an OS that gets unsupported
before next christmas either, so Fedora is not the answer. Ubuntu LTS?

/jens

--
Jens Larsson, NSC, Linköpings universitet, SE-58183 LINKÖPING, SWEDEN
Phone: +46-13-281432, Mobile: +46-709-521432, E-mail: jens at nsc.liu.se
GPG/PGP Key: 1024D/C21BB2C7 2001-02-27 Jens Larsson <jens at nsc.liu.se>
Key Fingerprint: BAEF 85CF BF1D  7A69 C965 2EE6  C541 D57F C21B  B2C7