[CentOS] new list proposal

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Oct 16 14:24:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:08 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Kenneth Price wrote:
> > I agree with Jeff.  While I understand this general list can become a bit overwhelming for the CentOS Staff, we all must remember that this is a GENERAL list.  All questions, from the novice to the expert should be welcome.  This list is not only a way to get problems resolved, but a very effective learning tool for all users.  Let's remember why we're here.  To support and learn from our fellow CentOS users/admins.
>
> I dont agree with you. Here is why:
>
> this list isnt really a general list as you put it, its more of a
> user-help and support list for people who use and are considering to use
> CentOS. This list is now also at a stage where the on-topic to off-topic
>   ratio is high enough that plenty of people who join to talk about a
> specific issue, never return back to the list. So we are not really
> doing much in terms of building the community, were in a state where
> there is one group of very vocal people, and lost of drive-by. Is that
> really the sort of situation we want to encourage and grow further into ?
>
> Also, if you were to be one of the moderators - how many hours a day, 7
> days a week would you be offering to do sub minute response rates for
> all list moderation ?
>
> The CentOS lists are not really moderated much, unless things go very
> crazy, and imho it would be nice to keep things that way. Focus the
> conversation, create more avenues for people to interact, and create a
> feedback loop that really does work. If for most people both the lists
> are going to be the same thing, well - feel free to subscribe to both.
> Just consider which one you want to start a conversation in when you do
> start a conversation and all will be well.
>
> Ofcourse, a mechanism to move a conversation between lists, along with
> auto-subscribe for all users contributing to that thread, into the
> moved-to-list, would be great to have!
----
I have tried to stay out of this.

I recognize that this is not a democracy and the CentOS developers are
certainly entitled to operate things, especially the mail lists however
they choose.

While I can appreciate that you are of the belief that the CentOS lists
are not moderated much, my perception is that it is moderated more than
most. Certainly not as moderated as say openldap-software list but
nowhere near as free as a Red Hat list.

I also note that moderation comes in 2 forms...the first being when one
of the CentOS developers says stop this thread which is irregular,
inconsistent and often unnecessary and the second being over zealous
people who post more frequently on this list who act as self appointed
list moms and are simply too heavy handed.

I personally think that the biggest problem on the list is not the
off-topic tangents but rather the efforts by some to express excessive
control rather than just delete and move on.

If you are going to go to multiple lists, might I suggest that you have
1 system-admins list and 1 general-users list and you can tightly
control the system-admins list.

Craig