[CentOS] new list proposal

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Thu Oct 16 16:42:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:18:42AM -0500, Kenneth Price wrote:
> ----- "John Hinton" <webmaster at ew3d.com> wrote:

> > But I would like a bit more freedom on the sysadmin list. The ability
> > to get more in depth on particulars and include discussions of other
> > software which interacts with existing systems to aid in going
> > further... extending Centos so to speak.

> Do you think that by definition, the "system-admins" list should
> encompass that freedom?  Linux system administration is not limited
> to bash scripting and configuring Apache virtual hosts, but also
> includes architecting multi-tiered, multi-faceted, multi-platform
> environments.  I think the label of "system-admins" for a second list
> is going in the right direction.  Maybe something a bit more specific,
> like CentOS-sysadmin-advanced?  Not the best name, but conveys my idea.

To be honest, I don't think this list should be split.  Instead it
should be more rigorously policed.  This should be a list about CentOS,
and working with CentOS.

Generic SA type stuff (how do you do "this generic task" in script) should
not be present here; there's already enough SA type lists out there.
Similarly, Apache configuration shouldn't be here... although interaction
between Apache and SELinux probably _should_.  CentOS specific questions
should be particularly welcome (which would, therefore, also include
discussion of "features" from upstream).

I guess a rule of thumb could be "if the question and answer is materially
unchanged if the OS is CentOS or Debian or Solaris or *BSD then it
doesn't belong here."

But that's just my opinion.

--

rgds