[CentOS] help required

fabian dacunha

fabian at baladia.gov.kw
Thu Oct 16 21:03:52 UTC 2008

Dear ALl,

I have the following live setup .
Centos 5.1 running as a Mail and DNS server with the following software

Sendmail ver
MailScanner ver
squirrel mail
clam av
spamassassin
mailwatch

we have about 250 mail users all with no shell and every thing is working
perfectly fine

now i wd like  to know the following .

1) if i have a copy of my /etc/passwd file and the /etc/skel/shadow file
and if my current HDD crashes ..
now if i make a new centos server with all the above software and jus copy
the password n shadow file in the right directories will all the users
able to login into the system as before.
or is anything more required to be done.
To explain more clearly if my current hdd crashes i can get up a new
centos machine but creating all the 250 + users wd be a big problem
specially the passwords.

2) i would like to also know about MX records

i mean DNS server having MX with same priority n MX with different priority

i right now have a primary n secondary mail server that is dns server with
different MX records and its workin fine

if i have 2 servers with same MX priority do i need to create the smae
users on both my centos servers so tht if one server fails othe one is
operational . i do presume the above is corect or is there any other way

apprecite your help

regards

Fabian

believed to be clean.