[CentOS] new list proposal

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Thu Oct 16 23:56:13 UTC 2008

> To be honest, I don't think this list should be split.  Instead it
> should be more rigorously policed.  This should be a list about CentOS,
> and working with CentOS.

Hi

Rigorous policing in this context is counter productive. Specifically in
three areas

1. The person or group enforcing the rules will find that in a short
space of time that it is emotionally draining to always be seen as the
enforcer of the rules. And these people are already doing a lot of
volunteer work.

2. The person making the request may in future have a legitimate topic
for discussion / assistance and not post simply because of the previous

3. The list has to watch / record all this "telling off"

I guess what is beginning to bug me is that a number of people seem to
be saying just police the list better and it will be fine. But I don't
see most of these people volunteering to be active member of this police
force.

Personally I have loved the fact that with this list as long as you are
seen to have put some thought / effort into a question or issue you get
helpful responses or at least responses that make you think. And because
of this I have been guilty of bringing up some topics of discussion that
are probably way off topic. That being said I can understand why people
don't want to deal with the "extra" stuff. So lets create the alternate
list so that all the people who see value in these "off topic
discussion" can have them without imposing it on the others

And I hope that once this is in place we use persuasion and positive
re-enforcement to encourage the lists to be used as intended. If we have
a set of rules that we religiously enforce then both lists are doomed to
fail as more effort will go into this enforcement than into providing
useful information to people.