[CentOS] Shipping CentOS as part of a solution

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Oct 17 12:30:38 UTC 2008

Mark Maskery wrote:
> We develop and sell a server based application as an appliance in which,
> in general, the customer does not have direct access to the operating
> system. My question is, are we allowed to use CentOS as the underlying
> operating system and if so what licence considerations are there or what
> licence information would we need to include for our customers?

CentOS as a distribution is shipped under the GPL license. So your app
would need to comply with and be compatible with the GPL license and all
the issues that come with that. You should speak to a lawyer about what
the implications might be.

There are also specific considerations and requirements to using CentOS
including the logo and name. I believe this is some information about
that on the website.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no one present on this list who
would be able to give you definitive legal advice for your specific
circumstances.

- KB