[CentOS] Recommended Configuration Control Software?

Sean Carolan

scarolan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 16:41:48 UTC 2008

We have several dozen production Linux servers and I would like to
have better control over what files are changed, by whom, when they
were changed, etc.  Because these are all production servers that are
in use 24x7, we do not have the luxury of simply doing a clean build,
taking md5sums of each file, and then doing fresh installations.  I
need a system that can take in-place snapshots of each server's
configuration files, store them in some kind of database or text file,
and notify me whenever something changes.

I've used tripwire in the past - do you have any other recommendations
for this type of project?