[CentOS] Installer kernel config

Ian Levesque ian at crystal.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 17 21:12:13 UTC 2008

On Oct 17, 2008, at 5:03 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Ian Levesque
> <ian at crystal.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm curious where I can find the config for the kernel included
>> with the
>> CentOS 5.2 x86_64 installer. I need to verify hardware compatibility
>> (especially ethernet and SATA) prior to making a purchase decision,
>> and
>> reckon that seeing what's included with the installer would be the
>> most
>> direct way.
>>
>> Thanks for any leads,
>

> /boot/config-<version> if you have a 5.2 system already running. If
> not you could probably just ask here what driver/module you're looking
> for.

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I'm curious what the kernel included on the
install disc supports, more than anything. We have a workstation
configuration that we recommend to labs around the university. In the
past few months we've migrated a large number of existing
installations from Fedora to CentOS. Unfortunately, our current
workstation setup doesn't have ethernet support in the 5.2 install
kernel, which became a problem when we were creating a guide for labs
to follow when installing CentOS. So, we need to ensure that the next
recommended system will be supported by the install kernel as well as
the post-install kernel (which I understand I can review in /boot/
config-<version>).

Cheers,
Ian