[CentOS] Re: DHCP static hosts and subnet configuration

John jses27 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 01:03:26 UTC 2008

Scott Silva (Mail Scanner) Wrote:

>TCP/IP works the same way no matter what country you are from. The terms
are
>the same, and if someone uses the wrong term, it is not the language
>difference, that person just learned the wrong term.

Yes, works the same in all Countries. Layers 1,2,3 of the OSI Stack. I guess
what I should have said was Subnet.

>A subnet is what you get when you finish subnetting. One is a noun, one is
>verb. It can only be done the way it was designed to be done. You can do
some
>very creative things with CIDR now, but that was created more as a way to
make
>smaller routing tables than any other reason.

Correct there. Classless Inter Domain Routing, never really got into doing
that. Largest I have dealt with was 1500 nodes and cidr is not needed there.
My main thing has always been getting a network provider to also provide
failover redudance. Had one dealing with lighting fiber and that was a
nightmare. Maybe I can get a few CIDR pointers from you. :-)

JohnStanley