[CentOS] DHCP static hosts and subnet configuration

John jses27 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 10:34:50 UTC 2008

Marcus Wrote:
I also wonder if it's really necessary to run two instances of DHCP
with separate config files as dhcpd3 is able to detect the Subnets on
which it may deploy leases, depending on the NIC configuration.

JohnStanley Writes.
The two commands I posted for you to set it up that way can be done in a
Single File Configuration. The last config file I posted for you was for two
NICS on two different Subnets.
Now here is the catch because I know your saying it want work. Infact it
will work. I just don't know or have an idea of the hardware you are using
on your network.
You will need what is called a dhcp relay client to forward dhcp requests to
your dhcp server. That can obtained from any linux client on the that subnet
you need to forward requests. See "man dhcrelay" That's the cheap way out.
Next option would be to use a Nortel or Cisco Switch that can support VLAN
so you can configure the the switches "ip helper-address" (interface) which
in turn forwards the dhcp requests to the dhcp server.

This is the thread I posted earlier for you. Pay no mind to the Ip addys.
Substitute your own. You can add on to it also the static portion that you
need for static clients. Should get you going atleast.
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-October/066615.html