[CentOS] cannot start Mysql

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Oct 20 13:46:49 UTC 2008

Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:

> William L. Maltby wrote:
>> > Hmm. I wonder then if that is a bug in CentOS. Since the "default" shown
>> > from the earlier posts indicates that several other pieces, including
>> > the server daemon, should come along with the "mandatory" piece, mysql.
>>

> No, why? Probably some package in default needs the client libraries of
> MySQL, so those are installed.
>
> Ralph
I think there was a change in upstream as of about version 4 to *not*
install any actual database by default.  Only the client gets
installed.  The argument was that their support folks were spending an
inordinate amount of time helping people get their databases configured
and running.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce