[CentOS] OT: Setting a CentOS to gateway a private IP address

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Oct 21 20:07:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, October 21, 2008 15:12, nate wrote:

> Seems like your trying to route through the linux box? Have you
> enabled ip forwarding and checked your iptables ruleset to make
> sure that either the default policy is ACCEPT or that you have
> specific rules in there that allow forwarding?

I believe so.

# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
1
# iptables -L -n
blah blah
ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            192.168.219.0/24
REJECT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

#

To be sure that the firewall was not the source of trouble I temporarily
turned it off and observed no change in behaviour from that previously
reported.

Another correspondent pointed out that I may need to run routed to
propagate the routing information from the host to the network.

On: Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:

>>From any other host on 2xx.1xx.y7y.0/24 I cannot ping 192.168.219.102
>
> You need to have a route in the Cisco's table for 192.168.219.0/24 or
> you need to get RIP working between 2xx.yyy.zzz.23 and 2xx.yyy.zzz.1
>
>> What setup steps on the CentOS host have I overlooked or what
>> configuration errors have I committed?
>
> Probably getting routed/gated running, setting active/passive
> interfaces, broadcast or multicast RIP, host routes/default routes,
> etc.

So, I will look into this.

Thanks for the help.

Canada  L8E 3C3