[CentOS] compare directories

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Thu Oct 23 17:15:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>David Hlácik wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> I have two mirrors. I need to compare files and directories on both
>> mirrors and as a result print list of those which are missing on
>> mirror 2
>>
>> What i did
>>
>> find /data > find.mirror1
>>
>> find /data > find.mirror2
>>
>> Now i need to get list of those directories which are missing in
>> mirror1.
>
>find /data | sort > find.mirror1
>
>find /data | sort > find.mirror2
>
>diff find.mirror1 find.mirror2

A somewhat cleaner way of doing this is to use the ``comm''
command as it generates a straight list as opposed to diff which
requires parsing the output.

cd /dir1
find . | sort > /tmp/find.mirror1
cd /dir2
find . | sort > /tmp/find.mirror2

# This will give a list of lines in mirror2 not in mirror1
comm -13 /tmp/find.mirror1 /tmp/find.mirror2 > /tmp/missingfrom1

# This will give a list of files in mirror1 not in mirror2
comm -23 /tmp/find.mirror1 /tmp/find.mirror2 > /tmp/missingfrom2

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Democracy must be sometihng more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what
to have for dinner -- James Bovard