[CentOS] ls and rm: "argument list too long"

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Oct 24 11:49:02 UTC 2008

Jussi Hirvi wrote:

>> piping ls to xargs should do the trick. man xargs for details.
>
> Ok, thanks for ideas, Laurent and Lawrence.
>
> A strange limitation in ls and rm, though. My friend said he hasn't seen
> that in Fedora.

This issue is in Fedora, Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL, (put any other linux
version you want here).

When you get too many files in a directory, you will receive this error.
 The same SOURCE code is compiled regardless of the "Distro".

As you have seen. there are many solutions to this problem ... HOWEVER,
picking a new distro is not one of them

Most people never hit this limitation, but it is certainly possible and
there in all versions of Linux.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes