[CentOS] Re: Ole Fossils [ was Re: ls and rm: "argument list too long"]

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Oct 25 16:14:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 10:17 -0500, David G. Mackay wrote:
> <snip>

> Then came CANDE, TD8xx terminals, and editing on your head-per-track
> disk.  Ah for the good old days, when men were men, and memory upgrades
> involved fork lifts.

I tried to stay out of this thread, I really did. But the "forklift"
reference hooked me.

Circa 1971/2(?), we had an IBM S360/30 with 64K (that's right, "K", "M")
bytes of "core" (back then, no simms, dimms, ...). Running IBM DOS, we
had three partitons going, 1 bg, 2 fg. It was decided that an
aftermarket upgrade would allow us to consolidate the two foreground
functions into one and use two background partitions for batch
production processing.

The aftermarket expansion was bought and took us up to a "whopping" 96KB
of "core" memory. The expansion unit (best I can recall) was about 5.5'
x 8' x 3', or 132 cubic feet. 8-O

Anyway, a forklift took it off the truck. And large hand pallet jack was
used to roll it across the raised flooring.

It did the job too. It was several years before we upgraded to a S360/50
with 512K (IIRC).

--
Bill

BTW: It wasn't "old farts", it was "curmudgeon", which one poster
thought was heavialy age related. It often is, but the "classical"
definition (IOW, not "Wikipedia" definition) relates that it is only
"often" related to age.

Regardless, I'm an "old fart" too. OFOFMC = Old fart On Fast Motorcycle.
1994 Yam YZF750. Its nicknames: Holy S**T and OMG! =>:-O