[CentOS] Interesting faillog files.

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Mon Oct 27 08:26:51 UTC 2008

Semih Gokalp wrote:
> yes i did it before.
> du /var/log/message
> 28      /var/log/faillog
> but
> ls -al /var/log/
> -rw-------  1 root   root   137438953440 Oct 24 17:37 faillog
> but why it is different ?

As already has been said: It's a sparse file with holes in it. As to why
it has to be that big: Space is reserved for every user id which can
possibly log in, depending on the *highest* uid which has ever logged in
onto your system. You are on a 64bit system (I'm good, ain't I?) and you
or some process has used a login shell with the user nfsnobody, which is
UID_MAX - 1 on most, if not all, unix systems.

And that one has the id 4294967294, which means that there is some space
reserved for all the other 4294967293 users which are below that uid.