[CentOS] Help with custom udev rule

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Tue Oct 28 03:54:29 UTC 2008

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Found another interesting detail. net/tun is listed in
> /etc/udev/makedev.d/50-udev.nodes, which starts with this comment:
> # These device have to be created manually
>
> I just didn't find who/what actually creates those, and using which
> permissions. Anyway, another clue in your puzzle.

Hi Filipe,

This was a pointer in the right direction.  This device file is actually
created by /sbin/MAKEDEV and the configurations files it uses are found
in /etc/makedev.d/ in particular for the device I am interested in it
was the file 01linux-2.6.x.

I have changed this line
c $ROOT                 10 200  1   1 net/tun
c 0660 root vboxusers   10 200  1   1 net/tun

I am still confused as to why a udev rules exists for the device when it
doesn't seem to ever be applied.

Thanks for the help, and have a nice day.