[CentOS] Checking if a user is 'Disabled'

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Tue Oct 28 12:09:56 UTC 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 7:46 AM, Tom Brown wrote:

> I need to create some local users but then 'disable' that user. I
> know i can enable and disable the user by using usermod -L and -U
> but does anyone know if there is a way for me to see the current
> status of the user? ie locked or unlocked?

this should get you a list of all the users which have been disabled
by means of `usermod -L`:

perl -e 'open($SHADOW, "<", "/etc/shadow") or die( "$!\n" ); while ( <
$SHADOW> ) { chomp; print "$1\n" if (/^([^:]*):!{1}[^!:]*:.*$/) }
close( $SHADOW );'

you'll need to run it as root.  no doubt that regex could be cleaned
up a bit :)

-steve

---
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v