[CentOS] Question re RHEL 5.3

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 00:59:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> The only issue I've ever seen has been with the onboard fakeraid stuff
> more and more vendors seem to be adding. I've been using SATA disks
> with centos since the early 4.x days without issue, so you have me at
> a bit of a loss here. I'd say if anything it's due to controller
> support, and much of that can be chalked up to what hardware vendors
> are pawning off as 'controllers' these days.

The one problem I've seen and posted here was w.r.t. smartd error
reports showing 2^32 - 1 errors on one of the disks (probably my
system disk) every few minutes.  I thought this was more than just a
bit suspicious, since there are only 4,687,500,000 sectors on a 300GB
disk, and the likelihood of having errors on 4,294,967,295 (~92%) of
them is rather slim unless the whole system is crashing a lot (it's
not).  It's a Seagate 300GB, so I ran Seagate's SeaTools on it in
lightweight mode, and no problems were reported, which is good because
the disk is only about a year and a half old and has my CentOS root,
swap, boot and home partitions on it.

I'll dig deeper on this one - sounds fishy to me, too, now....

mhr