[CentOS] mysql 4 > 5 export import issue

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Oct 30 13:52:57 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:
>> in other news, you dont need to dump + reload when you move from
>> mysql-4 to mysql-5, just service mysqld stop; yum update mysql\*;
>> /usr/bin/mysql_upgrade ; service mysqld start
>>

> i am changing the actual box so i have to dump and then import as i am
> also moving from centos4 to 5 -

rsync or tar the /var/lib/mysql dir up and move that. I am guessing in
this case that some delimiter is breaking or the dump you did wasent clean.

Alternatively if you did use complete-inserts in your dump, you can run
the load with : mysql -f db_name < blah.sql ; then look at what lines
the load breaks on and make sure the data looks sane in those lines.