[CentOS] Re: Desktop Choice Centos 4/Centos 5 or Fedora 9

Nifty Cluster Mitch niftycluster at niftyegg.com
Thu Oct 30 22:13:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:32:48AM -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 10-30-2008 11:11 AM vandaman2002-rt-/E1597aS9LT10XsdtD+oqA at public.gmane.org
> spake the following:
> > I have a choice of CentOS 4/5 and Fedora 9 on a laptop.
> > I have not use CentOS 5 on a desktop but have used
> > CentOS 4 and Fedora 9. I found the Fedora Gnome not
> > as appealing as the CentOS 4 clearlooks. Any opinions
> > from someone who has used CentOS 4/5 and Fedora?
> >
> > I'm not a KDE fan so KDE users need not reply.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vandaman.
> >

> First thing is to see if your laptop will support CentOS. That might be the
> determining factor. Maybe try the live cd's

Check the distro hardware support pages.
Wireless?
Other hardware like graphics chips?

New laptops tend to have new hardware -- F9 or even F10 may be necessary
to get rolling with a minimum of effort on new hardware.   I tend to work
with install media that is about 6 months newer than my hardware based
on the assumption that most issues have been resolved.  With this in mind
enough works well enough that I can fix the remaining bits.   I have had
to resort to text mode install, USB ethernet hubs, kickstart tricks and more
when I stray and get too ambitious.

As Scott wrote... try a live CD that may be the fastest way to discover
the issues.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?