[CentOS] Tired of Fedora, shopping for a new OS. Upgrade from F8 ? CentOS kernel versions ?

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Fri Oct 31 00:36:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>  Linuxguy123 wrote:
>>
>> >   b) One of the things I really need are up to date (bleeding edge)
>> >   kernels.  For example, F8 has 2.6.26 kernels, whereas CentOS appears to
>> >   be running 2.6.18 kernels.  I do know how to build my own kernels, but
>> >   that is a pain.
>> >
>> >   Does someone keep a separate repository that has more modern kernels ?
>> >   Can yum be configured to use only specific packages (ie kernels) from a
>> >   specific repository ?
>>
>>  Why not step up and offer to maintain a bleeding edge kernel in the
>>  centos-plus repos ?
>
> That would not be a bad idea. I always wondered how well a recent kernel
> would work with CentOS 5, but I never took the time to test a Fedora kernel
> on my dependable boxes.
>
> A project with this focus might indeed be useful.

Let me add that nothing should be holding you (anyone) from starting a
project by sending an email with intentions, get hold of a wiki-page to
list your ideas and progress and motivating people to help and test.

Whether that is a bleeding-edge kernel project, a new tool to migrate
sideways to and from RHEL, or a design, documentation or translation
project. I am sure your effort is useful, but often it needs commitment
and determination to get things going.