[CentOS] OT: SA/Apache "Best Practice"?

Camron W. Fox

cwfox at us.fujitsu.com
Fri Oct 31 17:32:13 UTC 2008

Alle,

	Here is our situation:

	Our customer leases their machines from us and contract us to to manage
them (as far as all systems administration issues). The customer does
not have root access to any machine (by their own choice, as they want
us to be responsible if something goes awry).
	In the case of their web servers, we handle all configuration, they
manage the content. We make changes to the configuration as necessary to
support their content.
	There is one machine (RHEL5.2) that they are developing on that will
become a production box. They have sudo access to manage mysql functions
as well as the apache server.
	They have asked, that we change the default directory
permission/ownership of /var/www/html,cgi-bin, instead of using the
Documentroot and ScriptAlias parameters in the apache configuration.

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 11  2008 /var/www/cgi-bin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 11  2008 /var/www/html

drwxrwxr-x 2 root user 4096 Jan 11  2008 /var/www/cgi-bin
drwxrwxr-x 2 root user 4096 Jan 11  2008 /var/www/html

	We have explained that it is preferable *not* to modify the default
filesystem configuration of the underlying OS and have recommended that
they customize the app by specifying a location of their choice in
httpd.conf. They argue that they "just want to use the system default
location". There is no *technical* reason for this, according to them.
The location does not affect the app.
	None of the other web servers we manage for them use the RHEL apache
default, they all have customized locations for content and scripts.

	My question is:

	What argument, if any, would you use to try and convince the customer
that this is a bad idea/bad practice?

Best Regards,
Camron

--