[CentOS] dumpe2fs and repquota not agreeing on block size

Mon Oct 27 01:37:26 UTC 2008
Neil Aggarwal <neil at JAMMConsulting.com>

Hello:

I am trying to set up user quotas on my /var
partition to enforce limits on user's mailbox
sizes.  The machine is running CentOS 5.

When I do this:
/sbin/dumpe2fs /dev/md2 | grep 'Block size'
Block size:               4096

That tells me the block size is 4k.

But, if I do:
repquota /var

It is telling me that one of my users is
currently using 10264 blocks.  But, if I look
at their mail file, it is 10493792 bytes,
which means they should be using 2562 blocks
or so.

Also, if I do:
df /var

I get this
/dev/md2              39674140  20401792  17224468  55% /var

Which tells me the blocks are 1K in size.  The repquota
result makes much more sense with a 1K block size.

Any idea why dumpe2fs is giving a 4K block size?

Thanks,
	Neil

Eliminate junk email and reclaim your inbox.
Visit http://www.spammilter.com for details.