[CentOS] changing partition priority on install

Tue Oct 28 19:59:44 UTC 2008
Monty Shinn <montys at videopost.com>

Greetings.

I am in the process of installing 5.1 64 bit on a server.  The server
has 2 3ware cards: 9550SX 12 port, and a 8006 2 port, both SATA.

I want the 8006 board to be /dev/sda, and the 9550 to be /dev/sdb.  My
plan is to install the os on /dev/sda (8006), and data on /dev/sdb
(9550).  Unfortunately, the 9550 comes up as /dev/sda.

The 8006 is installed in slot 3, which is a 100Mhz slot.  The 9550 is
installed in Slot 4, which is a 133Mhz slot.

I really don't want to put the 9550 in the 100Mhz slot.  I'm not even
sure it would make a difference...  I would also prefer to not have grub
reside on /dev/sda, while the os is on /dev/sdb.

I have tried to change the boot priority in bios, but this hasn't
changed the priority.  I tried to disable one of the boards in the bios,
but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Interestingly enough, when I boot with the Knoppix 5.1.1 live cd, the
cards show up as I want them to.

I have searched Google, but I am either entering the wrong search
parameters, or there isn't anything out there, at least pertaining to
the initial installation.

Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Monty

Specs:

Supermicro X6DH8-G
3ware 8006-2lp pci-X
3ware 9550sx-12, pci-X
CentOS 5.1, x86_64, network (nfs) install