[CentOS] Faking RHEL with CentOS

Wed Oct 1 13:53:38 UTC 2008
Sorin@Gmail <sorin.srbu at gmail.com>

Hi all,

I'm looking to test out a solution with CentOS instead of our venerable
RHEL3-servers. Some of the software we use and need, requires for it to run on
RHEL. Figuring that CentOS is binary compatible with RHEL this should work
anyway. I also found out using Google that many programs look in
/etc/redhat-release file to check that the right OS is there.

After checking the contents on a CentOS machine I have available, as well as
one running RHEL3 and 4, my guess would be that adding the "correct" text in
the redhat-release file on CentOS would enable picky software requiring RHEL
to run in CentOS instead.

>From CentOS /etc/redhat-release:
CentOS release 5.2 (Final)

>From RHEL3 /etc/redhat-release:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 9)

>From RHEL4 /etc/redhat-release:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 7)

Has anybody maybe actually done this already and can tell if it'd work?

What other places may a software look into to check the computer runs the
correct OS?

Ideas and comments are welcome! TIA.
--
Best Wishes
                  Sorin

MotD:
This is an adware tagline. Please visit our sponsors to continue helping the
development of this tagline.