[CentOS] Flaky graphics - need help nailing down the cause

Wed Oct 1 20:49:24 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This morning I noticed that my (new in July) monitor was behaving
>> strangely.  At first, it was odd parts of web page graphics that
>> didn't show up unless I scrolled up and down in the window, and then
>> they weren't displayed with any consistency.
> <snip>
> Mark: Hook up another monitor and see if it has the same behavior. If
> so, get an RMA for the video card. If not, change the video card and
> see what happens. Since this was working properly and you do not seem
> to have changed any software, my impression is that you have a HW
> problem. The monitor or the video card or possibly even a cable. There
> are great diagnostics for video that run on MS Windows (Yuk), called
> "DisplayMate", put out by Displaymate Technologies Corp. Hopefully,
> you can Download a Trial version and you will know whether or not
> your monitor and video are working and set up correctly. I don't know
> if there is something like that that will run on Linux. The
> manufacturer of the monitor and video card might have Diagnostics on
> their web sites that you can Download an run.  HTH,  Lanny

Follow on to my first reply. DisplayMate is not only Diagnostics. It
helps you set up your monitor and video card correctly. This is
professional quality stuff, but if your box isn't dual boot with
Windows, it won't run. Maybe they have a version that will run on
Linux now. I bought it, years ago.  If you can run it, they are *the*
experts.