[CentOS] 10 Gb with CentOS

Wed Oct 1 22:04:01 UTC 2008
NiftyClusters T Mitchell <niftycluster at niftyegg.com>

Bottom post list,  reply below.
2008/10/1 Ramon Nieto <rnietoz at yahoo.com.mx>:
> Hello all,
>
> Is 10 Gb supported by CentOS 4 and 5? Anyone using it?
>
> i'll appreciate any information on this subject.

Some but not all 10 Gb network cards are supported.
Some driver support is better than other...

You can download the latest CentOS and look at the driver
list for out of the box support.   Since CentOS is built from redhat
packaged source you can also inspect the release note on both
the CentOS and Red Hat web pages.

One caution is that a current kernel may support your card
but the kernel in the install media may not if it is a very new
part.   This is easy to solve if you understand it but a road block
if you do not.

Do some bandwidth arithmetic and make sure that the slot you
plug your card into can support the bandwidth you expect.
Same for system memory....  I do know that the bandwidth of
my little KIM-1 6502 processor based system cannot support 10Gb.

Do some homework.... there are some good/ better/ best 10Gb parts out there now.

One example:
  http://service.chelsio.com/site-bin/readme.cgi?FILE=linux/t3/README-cxgb3toe
Since RHEL is supported CentOS is 'supportable'.

Other vendors have cards and support too but a Chelsio  driver
engineer bought me a beer last month....
or did I buy him one..... so much beer, so much good tequila and so
little time.....  well never mind.

--
        NiftyCluster
        T o m   M i t c h e l l